Sunday, April 22, 2012

Camping

 (Apparently looking at the camera is too much work for our kids)

The weekend we planned to go camping there were torrential rains, so we had to postpone until the next weekend.  It turns out the next weekend was supposed to be raining as well (although the weather a week ahead said it was going to be beautiful).  We decided to just go.  When we arrived there was literally only one campsite available, but thank goodness for that one:).

The kids had a BLAST!  They love being outdoors and the rain held off until we were sleeping.  The downside to the site we got was that we had to drive to the bathrooms because they were too far away to walk.  Yeah, so I was 6 months pregnant...I always need a bathroom close by, but somehow I lasted until 5:30 in the morning and just laid there uncomfortable until everyone woke up.  Boo.  How did the pioneers do it?  

We had "traditional" camping food - foil dinners, s'mores, pancakes, hot chocolate - and then Astorga food - eggs.  David was so upset that it was raining in the morning (um, I think I told him was going to rain...whatever) that he wanted to leave and go home to eat breakfast.  And, of course, the kids (and me) had a fit.  So we improvised...we made breakfast inside the tent.  Thank goodness for electricity and griddles.  The rain dies down just enough for us to pack up later that morning.  

Needless to say, we were so tired just from that one night that we crashed when we got home.  I'm so excited that it went well though, because now we are planning an extended camping trip with some friends to the mountains.  Who cares that I will be 35 weeks?  It's going to be FUN!




2 comments:

No Big Dill said...

That is one spacious tent! And I'm with David about the food. Good thing for your kids you're so persuasive ;) Looks like fun.

Nicol said...

You guys are good, the only place we( and by that I mean the kids) have camped is our backyard. Brave woman to go camping at 35 weeks. And so happy for your newest addition.