Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Ready or Not

I am a little nervous about having this baby now.  Yesterday I was so sick that I ended up going to Labor & Delivery to get IV fluids as well as urine and blood work done.  I had all the flu-like symptoms except without a fever and vomiting.  I really debated whether or not to go, but decided in the end that it was probably a good idea just to make sure the baby was fine and if I had a bug, I wouldn't want to give it to anyone in the doctor's office (I had an appt. later in the day scheduled).  I found out 2 very interesting things that I wouldn't have known otherwise:

1.  Just how much paperwork I was going to have to do when in labor, but because I was already there, they went ahead and did the bulk of it all...thank goodness and      

2.  My platelets were borderline.  I have to have 100 in order to be able to even get an epidural and mine were 101.  Now, I know the last 2 were without meds, but we weren't quite sure that we wanted to do it again.  We weren't sure, but we would at least like to have the option of the epidural.

Even though I did not want to initially go to L&D yesterday, I believe it was a blessing that I went.  I asked the Dr. if there was anything I could do to increase my platelets and she said no that it was all hormonal and not due to being ill.  Well, I decided to do some of my own research:).  I found that low platelets can be from a weak immune system and you can naturally increase it by eating foods rich in Vitamin C, folate and Vitamin B and eliminating all refined foods.  That's what I have been doing since.  I'm sure it's a slow process to get them a whole lot higher, but I am confident that they won't dip if I am eating this way.  I normally eat well, but hadn't been so good the last few days and my immune system was low anyways.  If I haven't had the baby (which I am actually hoping for) by Thursday, I will go back and have my platelets checked.

It is kind of weird though, I feel much, much better, but I don't feel like I have all the energy I normally have. I feel still somewhat drained and normally I have no problem bouncing back, but this time I have.  I am assuming that it's only because of the pregnancy last days and praying that it's not because of low platelets.   Needless to say, this last week of being pregnant has not panned out the way I thought it would.  I thought I would be able to take a class each day (since I finished teaching last week), take the kids to do some fun stuff, and help Ashlyn and Spencer with reading and writing while Kylie worked on math.  Thank goodness my mom and 2 nieces came Monday night or else my kids would be bored to death.  Let's hope and pray that the rest of this pregnancy will treat me well and labor will not be as bad as I am expecting.

3 comments:

Sara Love said...

Very interesting, Christy. Glad you went in to the hospital. Better to be safe, right? Vit. B, C, and folate... very good to know! Thanks for doing the research and sharing.

You look fabulous! Can't believe it's #4! We'll be keeping our fingers crossed that you make it long enough for 100+ platelets and not too long that you're super uncomfortable. Way to go! You're almost there. BTW, you're such a good Mom. ;-) We miss you guys!

Happy said...

So glad you are feeling better, Jared and I have been worried about you and praying for you! So glad you are on the mend!

Michelle said...

Christy, I have had a similar weird flu-like but not flu thing happen to me twice in the last four months. I'm glad you're feeling better. I feel like death for about 24 hours, and then I'm fine. I think it's my body telling me to slow down and be healthier. I don't feeling like I'm really "pushing it," but then when I take a full day to rest I feel so much better. It seems normal that you're not bouncing back to 100% since you're due any day now! Most people wouldn't be going at 50% of the pace you've been doing for your whole pregnancy. I hope that everything goes well!!