Birth #3 was nothing like any of the others, so it threw me for a loop. I normally have the "textbook" labors, not this one. I awoke at 1:30 am Monday morning quivering from head to toe and could not stop - I tried walking, lying, David massaging, everything. I thought, "Oh, my gosh, am I in transition and never had a contraction?" I called my midwife, our friends who were going to watch the girls and our doula and we were ready to go to the birthing center. An hour later, after our friends arrived and we had spoken with the midwife and doula, the quivering stopped and I finally could time my contractions. They were only 10 minutes apart and 30 seconds long. Our friends spent the rest of the sleeping hours on our couch and everyone went back bed, including myself.
I was able to sleep until 7:30. Normally during this stage of labor, I want to be active - running errands, walking, etc. -, but all I wanted to do was sit. I went in and out of feeling hungry, feeling sick, quivering, having contractions - nothing was consistent, so I was not convinced I was in labor. I already had an appointment set for 11 am, so waited until them to go in. Much to my disappointment, I was only 4 cm, but the contractions had gotten more intense and closer together. We were told to get something to eat and come back. I was planning on going in with David, but the contractions were too intense, I stayed in the car and worked through them.
Upon returning at 12:15, she checked my again and, disappointingly, I was a 5, but she could feel my bag of water. I labored on the bed, on the ball, on the floor and nothing was comfortable, so I finally got into the tub. It was wonderful! Of course, the contractions were intense, but I could not imagine feeling them "on land", the buoyancy of the water took away so much pressure.
Finally, at 3:25 I was ready to push - it seemed like a lifetime (I was hoping for a 30 minute birth like Katy:)). 12 minutes later, Spencer David was out and on my chest. He was beautiful - he is beautiful - and sweet from the get go. We love him and are so excited to finally have him here.
I am so grateful for David, he made me feel strong and encouraged me the whole way - I could not have done it without him.
Thursday, July 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

10 comments:
Finally, you have a birthing experience like me! Just kidding! I'm so glad everything went so smoothly. Your son is so cute. I love his lips and big eyes. And, man, that cradle is really nice. I wish I had one like that :) Love you all!
Congrats on the birth of baby #3! That is great that you could do it all NATURAL!! You go girl, but I think I am going to stick with the drugs:) He is a cute little guy, but I wouldn't expect anything less, since both of your girls are cute! Congrats! -(Sarah-as in Sarah Brown)
He is beautifl!! Congrats to your family. Can't wait to meet him!!!
I think it is utterly amazing that you do a water birth. Though I will definitely stick with my epidural, I am really impressed. We are so glad that everything went well. Each labor and delivery is so different and you can never tell what's going to happen. They really keep you on your toes!
Love you
Give it up for water birth!!!!
That is a wonderful birth story and he is BEAUTIFUL! His color, the shape of his head, his little features are just perfect.
Congrats! We are so happy for you and can't wait to meet the newest member of "our" family!!!
Awl, Christy--he is beautiful! Congrats! BTW, I love his name!
Congratulations! He sure is a cutie! Hope you all are adjusting well!
What a beautiful baby!!
Congrats you guys! He is so adorable. Your family just keeps getting bigger and bigger! It so cute! I'll keep watching for more photos!
Post a Comment